- Lucas, J. (2016). Fields of Authority: Special Purpose Governance in Ontario, 1815-2015. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
Peer-reviewed Articles and Reports :
- Lucas, Jack. Forthcoming. “Toward Delegation: Social Policy Centralization in Toronto, 1870-1929.” Journal of Policy History 30(2).
- Lucas, Jack and Robert Vipond. 2017. “Back to the Future: Historical Political Science and the Promise of Canadian Political Development.” Canadian Journal of Political Science 50 (1): 219-241
- Lucas, Jack. 2017. “Urban Governance and the American Political Development Approach.” Urban Affairs Review 53 (2): 338-361
- Lucas, Jack. Forthcoming. “Patterns of Urban Governance: A Sequence Analysis of Long- Term Institutional Change in Six Canadian Cities”. Journal of Urban Affairs.
- Lucas, Jack. Forthcoming. “Urban Governance and the American Political Development Approach.” Urban Affairs Review.
- Goodman, Nicole and Jack Lucas. Forthcoming. “The Policy Priorities of Municipal Candidates in the 2014 Ontario Elections.” Canadian Journal of Urban Research.
- Lucas, Jack. 2015. “Local Governance and the Local Political Career: A Sample Dataset”. Canadian Public Administration. 58(4): 605-617.
- Lucas, Jack. 2015. “How Ontario Hydro Went Local: The Creation of Rural Power Districts and the Central Ontario System.” Scientia Canadensis. 37(1-2): 59-76.
- Lucas, Jack. 2013. “A Century of Political Science in Canada.” Journal of Canadian Studies. 47(2): 89-118.
- Lucas, Jack. 2013. “Berlin, Ontario in the Age of the ABC.” Urban History Review. 41(2): 19-42.
Other Publications :
- Sayers, Anthony and Jack Lucas. 2017. “Policy Responsiveness and Political Accountability in City Politics”. School of Public Policy Research Papers 10(4): 1-23. (Refereed report).
- Lucas, Jack. 2015. “Did Mayor Allen Huber Punch Louis Breithaupt in the Nose?” Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume. 102: 77-84.
- Lucas, Jack. 2015. “How Things Change: Adventures in Unreconstructed Institutionalism” Public Sector Management. 26(1): 24-25.
- Lucas, Jack. 2013. “Hidden in Plain View: Local Agencies, Boards, and Commissions in Canada.” Institute for Municipal Finance and Governance Perspectives Series. 4:1-7.
Invited Talks :
- 2017. “P.R. Adoption in Western Canadian Cities.” American Political Science Association, San Francisco, CA. 09/01.
- 2017. “Formal Institutions and the Political Development of the Western Canadian City.” Urban Affairs Association, Minneapolis, MN. 04/20
- 2015. “Urban Policy Governance in Canada: A Long-Range Overview”. Intersections Speakers Series, City-Region Studies Centre, Edmonton AB. 02/24.
- 2014. “The Long-Term Dynamics of Local Institutional Change: A Policy Fields Approach”. Department of Political Science Speakers Series, University of Alberta, Edmonton AB. 09/25.
- 2014. “Disaggregate, Young Scholar, Disaggregate”. Conference in Honour of Graham White, University of Toronto, Toronto ON. 05/30.
- 2013. “Local Special Purpose Bodies in Ontario”. Institute on Municipal Finance and Governance, University of Toronto, Toronto ON. 04/29.
Selected Conference Presentations
- 2016. “Social Welfare Centralization in Toronto, 1870-1930.” Canadian Political Science Association, Calgary, AB. 05/31.
- 2016. “Responsiveness, Accountability, and the Local Political Career in Calgary and Edmonton.” LABEL Colloquium on Municipal Responsiveness and Accountability, Montreal, QC. 05/17.
- 2016. “Political Authority and the Urban Policy Ecology: Social Policy Centralization and Urban Reform in Toronto”. Urban Affairs Association, San Diego, CA. 03/17.
- 2015. “Patterns of Policy Governance: A Sequence Analysis of Long-Term Institutional Change in Six Canadian Cities”. Prairie Political Science Association, Banff, AB. 09/12.
- 2015. “The Municipal Governance Menu: A Multi-Dimensional Typology of Local Policy Governance”. Midwest Public Affairs Association, Milwaukee, WI. 07/10.
- 2015. “Toward a Typology of Urban Policy Governance”. Canadian Political Science Association, Ottawa, ON. 06/04.
- 2015. “Policy Priorities of Municipal Candidates in the 2014 Local Ontario Elections” (with Nicole Goodman). Canadian Political Science Association, Ottawa, ON. 06/03.
- 2015. “Change in the Urban Political Ecology: A Sequence Analysis of Urban Institutional Change in Adjacent Policy Fields”. Urban Affairs Association, Miami, FL. 04/09.
- 2013. “Structural Change in Three Provincial-Municipal Domains”. Canadian Political Science Association, Victoria, BC. 06/05.
- 2013. “Change in Education, Public Health, and Hydro: The Long View”. Canadian Association for Programs in Public Administration, Toronto, ON. 05/27.
- 2012. “Creating Special Purpose Bodies: Berlin, Ontario in the Age of the ABC”. American Political Science Association, New Orleans, LA. Conference cancelled due to Hurricane Isaac
- 2012. “Why do Special Purpose Bodies Exist? A Case Study from the Age of the ABC”. Canadian Political Science Association, Edmonton, AB. 06/15.